Our all new Beta platform is chugging along and today we move so much closer to being able to remove the “API only” tag. Come see what we’ve added to Mission Control and create an instance like it’s 2019.
The first big addition is our new instance create flow. Once you’ve logged in to Mission Control, click on that shiny new “Create Instance” button. You can find it on the left side, or in the dropdown menu if you’re on mobile.
Our UI breaks instance creation into a simple three step process:
- In step 1, you’ll narrow down to the service, cloud/region, version you’d like to build.
- Then in step 2, you’ll configure the performance specs and size of your instance.
- Finally in step 3, you’ll add ACLs (whitelisted IPs) if you wish, or select to configure them later. Remember, you can’t connect to any of our services unless you open up access to your source IPs/ranges.
Once you’ve got everything set, hit “Create Instance” and you’ll be directed over to the next new section of the UI.
This is going to be your initial dashboard for your instances. Let’s break down everything we’ve got going on here:
- Along the left side there’s a colored band to indicate the status of the instance: teal indicates an instance that’s ready and healthy, gold indicates an instance that’s still building, and red indicates an instance that needs attention.
- When collapsed the body of the card shows the instance name, instance service, and cloud region.
- When expanded, you can also find more detail about the instance like the datastore version, created time, an ID, and some dashboard links.
- Finally there are a few action buttons to the right. They don’t become active until the instance is ready.
This is still a Beta product and there are still a few functions that are API-only, so we’re going to be addressing those first. Over the next few weeks you’ll see the following features become active in the UI:
- Instance detail screens with connection strings and more control over IP whitelists
- Database user management in the instance list and instance details sections
- General tuning and smoothing of rough edges that we uncover
The new platform is picking up speed and you can expect a stream of new features and capabilities as we approach general availability. We’d love your feedback, so come try it out for free and let us know what you think.